Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Goodbye To Kids Without Stuff


I have just said goodbye to the school for disadvantaged children, where I have volunteered for the past seven years.

The school is closing and my heart goes out to all the children whose lives intersected with mine. It is hard to think that I won’t see them again, but then, who really knows. “Life is stranger than fiction” and our paths may cross again.

The young, kindergarten through sixth grade, children were so special to me. I treasure the time I spent reading and sharing books with them. The high school girls I came to know and love. I treasure the hours I spent teaching them etiquette and fashion secrets, earning their trust, then hearing their stories. On my birthday in May I received “Happy Birthday” wishes from three graduates. How great is that?

 As I look back on the students and wonderful teachers I knew so well, there is a sort of sadness, but also a sense of contentment. I am thankful that I was a part of their lives for awhile. Did I make a difference? I don’t know and probably never will. What I do know is they made a very important difference in my life. I found that happiness lies in making others happy, to bring joy and love to others. Especially to children who are Kids Without Stuff. Thank you, children, and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment