Saturday, April 28, 2012


Living Life to the Fullest

by Lois Jamieson

 “You cannot make life longer, however you can make life larger and bigger”
-        Yuan

I love this quote, especially now that I’m in my 80s. When I was 75 I started a new volunteering career. Since that time my life had not been made longer, but it is larger.

I had to take a BIG step to turn to working at a school for at-risk kids in a crime ridden area of the city. I started as volunteer librarian and then branched out to starting an etiquette/Fashion class for the high school girls, followed by an etiquette class for the lower grade girls. I have shopped for good used books, read to all ages, and become friends with wonderful kids - I call them kids without stuff.

I have grown in confidence over the past 7 years. I developed an even stronger relationship with my daughter, who is superintendent of the StarShine schools. Through her I have become comfortable with the internet and have spent the last year writing a blog with her called *Kids Without Stuff. We are now working on a book by the same name.  It was her suggestion that I should write my own blog and to bring my dear friend, Phoebe on board. That is how Ageless At 80 came into being.

So, yes, I believe I can honestly say that I have no idea how long my life will be, but I definitely know it is much larger than I ever imagined.

*To check out my other blog, go to kidswithoutstuff.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment