Monday, September 26, 2011

A Precious Gift - Easily Wasted

by Lois Jamieson

“God, the master of time, never gives the future. He gives only the present, moment by moment.” The Cloud of Unknowing

The gift of time is so easily wasted by all of us. I bet at sometime or other you have read the obituary page in your newspaper and surprisingly found the name of a friend. When that happens to me, and it has, my first thought is why didn’t I call or visit the person and now it is too late.

The short amount of time you and I would have spent making a phone call could have made that someone happy, knowing that someone cares.

I am very proud of my husband and his good friend Dick. Just this year they took the time to visit two very ill friends. With one they had a last lunch and the other a bedside visit. In both instances the men died within a month.

It is so easy to say, “I’ll do it tomorrow”, be it a diet, exercise or a phone call. We all put off the difficult, sometimes until it is too late.

Call a friend, visit the ill, spend time wisely – it is a fleeting thing.

Watch for next Saturday’s post “Spend Time With a Child”.

No comments:

Post a Comment