Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Together But Apart

By Lois Jamieson

Remember how special it was to walk to the park - to the store - to school with a friend.
Remember the joy of walking and talking and laughing together over silly or serious things. I do.

Yesterday, I was out driving and I saw three kids walking together, but with space between them. One was playing a guitar, another staring stonily ahead and the third as in a dream world. They were oblivious to those around them and to each other. They were obviously together but just as obviously apart.

I worry about our youth today. They often seem isolated even when in a group. With texting so popular, I fear the art of conversation is being lost. I can’t believe that receiving a text from a friend that says, “Was up?” can replace an actual conversation between two people.

At least I fervently hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment