Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ladies Day

By Lois Jamieson

My husband and I just returned from a beach vacation in Southern California. I read the local paper every day, not that it was a great newspaper, looking for interesting articles to share with you. I hit a gold mine!

I read that the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, at the Del Mar Race Track, had scratched “Ladies Day” from the event card. Well, they didn’t really ‘scratch’ the name, they just added to it. It seems that the National Coalition For Men complained that a Ladies Day violates the law regarding equal treatment of the sexes. They complained that this was discrimination against men and they found it offensive.

So now it is called “Ladies Day (and Gentlemen).” Let the race begin.

Now don’t get me wrong. I love men. I have always enjoyed being around them. But this struck me as being a big fuss over nothing. In my own life, I have witnessed many discriminating circumstances against women. At the country club we almost joined there was a Men’s Day and was on a choice day of the week, while the Women’s Day was second choice and God forbid if, on any day, women got to tee off before men. And then there is the “Men’s Grille” found at most clubs. I have never seen a Lady’s Grille at any club.

On the other hand, I remember when my husband’s fraternal club, by law, had to include women. The problem arose when the women who joined were aggressive types. They soon worked their way into leadership positions. In one year the club’s membership was falling.

So I say, let the gentlemen have some time together to just be guys. And let the ladies have their day to spend time with the gals

No comments:

Post a Comment