Monday, April 25, 2011

DO I REALLY NEED TO KNOW

By Lois
I ask myself this question. --
Do I really need to know about Facebook, Twitter, I-Pods, I-Phones, I-Pads and all the rest?

I may as well admit it….I’m on Facebook! Well, sort of. Here’s how it happened. My dear 29 year old grandson forced me into it by sending me some promised pictures….on FaceBook. The only way I could see the pictures was to join the dreaded FaceBook.

So, that’s what I did, and here is what happened.

First, I had to enter a password. So, I did that. Let me stop right here and give you a little advice about passwords. Pick one you can easily remember and use it on everything you need a password for.You’ve guessed it, after entering my FaceBook password, I neglected to record it along with my passwords for my computer, my e-mail, my home alarm and myriad other things.

But I digress. The next thing I knew I had 20 FaceBook friends, or that is what my e-mail was telling me. Mostly, they were people I like. I felt rather proud about that, but unfortunately I couldn’t answer them because I FORGOT MY PASSWORD.

Well, the messages kept piling up along with admonishments from FaceBook that I was ignoring my friends. Each time this happened I would try another password, but could never come up with the right one. Then a line would appear that I grew to hate - it said, “Forgot your password? Here’s a new one. All you have to do is type in this combination of words and you will be given a new password.”

"Okay," I said to myself, this should be easy. I scrolled down the page and there were something like 28 screwy words that looked something like this - MWLFTY except they weren’t in a straight line and were crazy looking.For three weeks every day I found myself screaming at my computer, “GIVE ME THE DAMN PASSWORD!”


Did you know there is no-one there? I always thought there was a Facebook central office or something equally sensible.
WRONG!


Now I just ignore it and all the new and old “friends” who, incidentally, have grown from 20 to 79. I’ll just have to wait until my grandson, who lives in the state of Washington and I am in Arizona, comes to see me at Christmas time.

P.S. I finally remembered my password and even receive written messages on my wall. I’ve also become a blogger - but no TWEETING. Here is the link to my other blog: Kids Without Stuff

I GUESS I DID NEED TO KNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment