Saturday, November 26, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

By Lois Jamieson

I find so many things to be thankful for this year. First of all, that I made it to age eighty two and a half. I still get up in the morning and greet the day with enthusiasm. I throw a kiss to my sleeping husband of fifty eight years and walk around the house I love. Then I check to see if the flowers are still growing in the courtyard and watch the birds taking a morning bath in the fountain. Some quiet meditation and “thank you God” comes next. What more could I ask for.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at our son’s home. There were 17 of us – not all family – who gathered together. A special treat was having all three grown up grandchildren with us. We all feel so very grateful to have and love each other.

My life hasn’t always been like this. When I was eleven years old my parents were divorced. I went with my mother to a state 1200 hundred miles away. We had no money and had to live with my grandparents. The hardest part was leaving my two brothers behind to live with my father. There were lots of uncertain years, not knowing where my next dress would come from. But even then I had many gifts bestowed upon me. I was so lucky to have a fun and loving Irish mother, the opportunity to stay close to my brothers in spirit, and a great God given faith.

I wish all of you, whereever you are, a happy and thankful holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment